Thunder Suite Guided Tour
TIC Software – The Total Solution Company
Did you think that XML and NonStop are two words that don’t belong in the same sentence? You're in for a surprise! Let TIC Software provide you the solution, training, and services that you need for all your XML needs on NonStop.
If you're new to XML, you may want to have a quick overview of this technology and find out why it is becoming increasingly popular. Here's some straightforward easy-to-understand information:
The “Cliff Notes Summary” - 3 Basic Things You Should Know About XML
- XML is becoming the de-facto standard for business-to-business data exchange among a variety of industries such like:
So you should seriously consider supporting XML in your NonStop applications.
- SWIFT (Banking)
- SEPA (Financial)
- FIX (Brokerage)
- ACORD (Insurance)
- Many Others
- Always follow the schema
Remember how DDL is used to describe a data record? Schema is sort like a DDL of the XML document. Here's a more formal definition from Wikipedia:
"An XML schema is a description of a type of XML document, typically expressed in terms of constraints on the structure and content of documents of that type, above and beyond the basic syntactical constraints imposed by XML itself."
Schema is the definitive guide on how the XML document is constructed. When you have an XML input document, the schema will guide the parsing. When you need to construct an XML output document, you need to make sure all the schema rules are followed.
- You don't need to know a lot about XML or XML parser to handle XML on NonStop. TIC Software and XML Thunder will help you implement your XML programs easily.
If you're like most NonStop customers, most of your applications are probably written in COBOL. You may want to explore how to incorporate XML processing into your COBOL applications. With XML Thunder, you can do so quickly and easily.
- XML Thunder is a desktop GUI visual tool that guides you step-by-step on what to do.
- You put in the schema and XML Thunder generates the COBOL subroutine code (called a handler) based on that schema:
- XML Reader - Parses an XML document and put the values in WORKING STORAGE
- XML Writer - Generates an XML document based on values in WORKING STORAGE
- Your application only needs to call that XML Thunder-generated subroutine code to handle the XML processing.
It is that easy!
Things that you DON'T NEED…
- You don't need to be an XML expert
XML Thunder does the heavy lifting for you
- You don't need Windows or Unix, Java or .NET to do the XML processing
XML Thunder does it all on NonStop
- You don't need to worry about if your documents are valid or well-formed
XML Thunder does all the validation according to the schema
- You don't need to take days or weeks to get this done
XML Thunder gets it done for you literally in minutes!
XML Thunder Video Tours
Want to take a look at how XML Thunder works? Here are some flash videos you can click through. Each one is less than 3 minutes long.
Use XML Thunder to create an XML Handler using a schema
See how XML Thunder generates the XML processing code
See how XML Thunder validates XML documents against a schema
- "NonStop can't handle XML. You need Java or Windows to do that."
Many NonStop can handle XML very well. Many NonStop programs are already handling XML documents with the help of XML Thunder.
- "I need to learn a lot about XML before I can write a NonStop COBOL program to handle XML."
With a tool like XML Thunder, you don't need to be an XML expert to add XML processing to your COBOL programs.
- "XML looks like just a simple set of tags. I can write a program to do that easily."
No, you need to make sure you understand the rules defined in the schema and program in the rules accordingly.
- "XML is so CPU-intensive that NonStop can't handle it.
XML handling does not have to be very CPU-intensive if the code is implemented correctly. XML Thunder-generated code runs extremely well on S and Integrity systems and above with minimum load on the CPU's.
- "I have only a few XML projects right now, so I won't need any tool to help me."
Even if you have only one or two XML projects, the ROI from an automated tool like XML Thunder can be great because it eliminates long-term code maintenance cost.
It's a common misconception that it is cheaper to have in-house programmers to write XML handling code manually. Here are some hidden costs often overlooked:
- Analysis cost
Programmers need to spend time to understand and analyze the schemas.
- Testing Cost
Manual coding XML processing code is error-prone. It places a burden on the QA department to catch processing bugs.
- Maintenance Cost
If there is any change in the schema, the programmer will need to modify the code manually. Sometimes, even a minor change in the schema can cause a major rewrite of the XML handling code.
Here is a snapshot that highlights a typical cost breakdown.
Want to find out how much it would cost your project? Contact us for a copy of this worksheet to see how much XML Thunder can save you.
In contrast, XML Thunder gives you a cost-effective way to handle all your XML processing need.
XML Thunder automatically analyzes the schema that you import without requiring a lot of human intervention.
XML Thunder generates code that automatically validates input and output XML documents according to the schema. You can be confident that the code is doing the right thing.
XML Thunder supports the full development cycle. It handles any schema change easily by updating the schema and generates the new code automatically.
- XML Thunder generates high-performance XML processing code without requiring XML-fluent programming expertise.
- XML Thunder generated code runs on NonStop, without requiring external platforms like Windows or Unix.
- XML Thunder saves you time and money. With XML Thunder, you can get XML projects done more quickly and more cost-effectively.
- TIC Software, your partner in success
- Outstanding support - You can always reach an expert by phone, by Email or over a Web Meeting
- Tutorials - Download our well known web sessions to learn tips and techniques. Get code samples and utilities to help you get your projects done more easily
- Need more help? We have the expertise and experience to help you with the services that you need: Training, Design, Development or Consulting.
Contact us today!